Authorization

Taliban fighters raid Kunduz in Afghanistan Armed fighters enter the city of from three directions and seize control of a hospital

Taliban fighters raid Kunduz in Afghanistan Armed fighters enter the city of from three directions and seize control of a hospitalTaliban fighters have carried out an early-morning raid on the city of Kunduz in Afghanistan, entering the northern city from three different directions.

Al Jazeera's Abdullah Shahood, reporting from the capital Kabul, said Kunduz city was in lockdown on Monday as security forces attempted to fight back.

He said roads to the city had been blocked and some police stations within the city were surrounded by Taliban fighters.

The armed fighters have also reportedly taken control of a 200-bed hospital in the city following the raid on Monday, a Taliban spokesman and a police source told Reuters.

There have been reports of casualties, but Al Jazeera could not independently verify the claims.

The city's streets were deserted as residents barricaded themselves indoors.

"The situation is very bad. The fighting is particularly fierce in the southeastern area of the city," a Western NGO official told AFP news agency on condition of anonymity.

The government told that additional government troops have been deployed to the area, but they have not reached the city.

The attack is the second time this year that the Taliban's threatened to seize Kunduz, which is the main city of Kunduz province.

The province is one the most volatile provinces in the northern region of the country, with three districts reportedly under Taliban control.

The Taliban have been waging an armed struggle since a US-led invasion ousted them from power in late 2001, and have stepped up attacks during a summer offensive launched in late April against the Western-backed government in Kabul.

On Sunday 13 people were killed and 33 wounded at a volleyball match in the eastern province of Paktika, while a splinter group affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) launched coordinated attacks on police checkpoints in the eastern province of Nangarhar.

Afghanistan's NATO-trained police and army have been fighting armed rebels this year without the front-line help of foreign forces, which ended their combat mission in December 2014.

A residual force of around 13,000 remains for training and counter-terrorism operations.

Peace overtures by the government of President Ashraf Ghani over summer ended in failure, as civilian casualties soared to a record high in the first half of 2015 according to a UN report.

It said 1,592 civilians were killed, a six percent fall over last year, while the number of injured jumped four percent to 3,329.

Source: Al Jazeera
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Январь 2022    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31