Authorization

Bullet train makes emergency stop due to smoke from battery in passenger's bag

A shinkansen bullet train made an emergency stop Friday after a battery in a passenger's bag began smoking, and four female passengers were taken to hospital.
The incident occurred around 5:55 p.m. as the Hayabusa No. 65 was traveling between Ueno station in Tokyo and Omiya station in Saitama Prefecture.
The battery possibly started to emit smoke because it had been damaged when the passenger dropped it to the floor from the bag containing it, police said.
There was no fire, but four women in their 20s were taken to hospital after reporting they felt unwell, according to East Japan Railway Co and the fire department.
A fifth passenger also later reported a burn after arriving at Sendai station by a subsequent train, JR East and police said.
After a safety check, the northeastern-bound bullet train pulled into Omiya station nine minutes late, and the rest of that scheduled service was canceled.
Similar incidents involving faulty batteries have occurred in bullet trains, most recently in September when a charger ignited in a woman's handbag, causing burns.
In September 2017, a passenger's tablet computer ignited and charred a table in a bullet train.


© KYODO
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Январь 2022    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31