Authorization

Australians getting ready for deadly Cyclone Debbie - worst storm in six years

Australians getting ready for deadly Cyclone Debbie - worst storm in six yearsMore than 3,500 people were evacuated as north Queensland prepared for potential devastation in the “dead quiet” on Monday before Cyclone Debbie, slated to be the worst storm in the region in six years.

This is reported by The Guardian.

The tropical cyclone, upgraded to a category three on Monday, was expected to make landfall between Bowen and Ayr on Tuesday morning as a category four, which would make it the worst in the region since Yasi in 2011.

The Queensland premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, said on Monday morning a further 2,000 residents would be evacuated from the Bowen area, joining 3,500 who had already left the area between Home Hill and Proserpine. The cyclone was tracking further south than previously expected and could affect as much as 100km of coastline.

Shelters for up to 700 people were open in Bowen and Proserpine and buses were transporting people from towns further north to Cairns, she said. Palaszczuk warned residents not to wait until it was too late to leave as the window was “drastically closing”.

Defense, emergency service volunteers, police and power employees were already in the region in readiness and more than 100 schools from north of Townsville to the south of Proserpine had been closed.

The Queensland government advised that 75 state schools and 27 Catholic and independent schools, as well as 107 early childhood centres, had been closed.
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Декабрь 2018    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31