Authorization

1 person dead, 10 hospitalized in Tokyo after choking on mochi

Eleven people were taken to hospital on Tuesday after choking on on mochi (glutinous rice cakes) in Tokyo. One off them, a man in his 80s, died later in the day.
According to the Tokyo Fire Department, seven out of the 10 admitted to hospitals were over the age of 60, Fuji TV reported. 
Every year, prior to the New Year holidays, the Tokyo Fire Department advises the public to cut mochi into bite-size pieces and slowly chew the notoriously sticky food before swallowing. It also advises people to pay attention to infants and seniors when they are eating mochi. 
In one famous incident that occurred in 2001, a woman used a vacuum cleaner to suck the mochi out of her 70-year-old father's throat, saving his life.


© Japan Today
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Сентябрь 2020    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930