Authorization

Mark Zuckerberg announces Trump banned from Facebook and Instagram for at least the next two weeks

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has announced via his platform that Donald Trump will be blocked from using both Facebook and Instagram for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete. The company blocked his accounts temporarily on Wednesday following Trumps posting on content that incited his followers to violence, but now Zuckerberg says the ban is extended indefinitely, extending at least until Biden takes over as President.
Both Facebook and Instagram removed Trumps video post yesterday, in which the President called for rioters who laid siege to the Capitol building in Washington to go home but in which he also said we love you to the same violent terrorists. They followed that action with a 24-hour account lock, preventing Trump from posting via his Facebook and Instagram accounts during that period.
Zuckerberg acknowledges that Trump content has in the past been labeled or removed when found to violate its policies, but that he had been allowed up until now to use our platform consistent with our own rules. He says that has now changed, due to use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government. Theres a lot of careful, heavily PRd language doing heavy lifting here Zuck is careful to say that use until now has lined up with the platforms rules in place, and not instead been an exception to them, and hes also careful not to say Trump has directly incited violent insurrection in leaving an actor out of that particular sentence. Still, this is the strongest action by far from the platform to date to limit Trumps access.
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«     2021    »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031