Authorization

Windrush scandal: Victims urged to give evidence

Victims of the Windrush scandal have been invited to provide details of their ordeals as the Government draws up a compensation scheme.
The Home Office has launched a month-long "call for evidence" as it seeks to compensate Commonwealth citizens who suffered financial losses because of difficulties proving their immigration status.Home Secretary Sajid Javid said people of the Windrush generation had "unfairly had the lives they have built in the UK turned upside down".He added: "To put things right we need to understand more about what happened and to understand the personal stories. That is exactly what today's call for evidence is about."
Windrush scandal: Victims urged to give evidence

Image:
Sajid Javid said the Windrush generation had been treated 'unfairly'
But Labour MP David Lammy, a prominent figure in exposing the fiasco, said the move "doesn't help the people left destitute because they are unable to work or claim benefits".He also questioned when the compensation scheme will be in place.Ministers have faced a furious backlash over the treatment of the Windrush generation - named after a ship that brought migrants to Britain from the Caribbean.
Windrush scandal: Victims urged to give evidence

Image:
David Lammy said the scheme would not help many Windrush victims
People who have been living legally in the UK for decades have lost their jobs, been denied access to NHS treatment, benefits and pensions, had their driving licences withdrawn and warned they face deportation.
A Home Office document published on Thursday said the call for evidence - which runs until 8 June - is open to members of the Windrush generation who have "faced difficulties in establishing their status under the immigration system".Any other interested organisations and individuals can also submit contributions.
Windrush scandal: Victims urged to give evidence

1:15
Video:
Immigration centre detainees 'treated like pigs'
People caught up in the saga are invited to answer questions about how they were affected, when they first knew there was a problem and what losses they experienced.Mr Javid also announced that Martin Forde QC, himself the son of Windrush parents, will provide independent advice on the design of the compensation scheme.An official estimate for the number of people who could be eligible for the scheme has not been released.
More from UK

Serial killer Dennis Nilsen dies in prison


'Crystal meth' found at Home Office HQ


Stage invader grabs mic during UK Eurovision performance


Royal wedding: Palace reveals document used by Queen to give consent


Royal snap changed amateur photographer's life


Down it! Memories from reporting on Prince Harry

The number of potential victims of the scandal was approximately 3,000 as of last week, MPs were told.Plans for the scheme were first unveiled by former home secretary Amber Rudd, who resigned after admitting "inadvertently misleading" Parliament over targets for removing illegal immigrants.
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Август 2018    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031