A revised peace accord between Colombia's government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) is final, negotiators said on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
Chief government negotiator Humberto de la Calle said the new pact to end 52 years of war with the Marxist FARC group was the best and most complete agreement the two sides could achieve, and it will not be adapted again."This is the final accord; it's the definitive accord. There's really no room for more negotiation,"
he told reporters in Bogota.
A decision on how the new accord
will be approved will come after meetings with legislators, which are expected soon, Interior Minister Juan Fernando Cristo said. The law does not require President Juan Manuel Santos to hold a new referendum, so he could try to ratify it through Congress.
The expanded and highly technical 310-page document appears to make small modifications to the original text, such as clarifying private property rights and detailing more fully how the rebels would be confined in rural areas for crimes committed during the war.
Some in the opposition, who had asked to study the draft before it becomes final, have criticized it as just a tweaked version of the original.
Former President Alvaro Uribe, who spearheaded opposition to the original accord, is likely to be angry about the latest version and want deeper changes. He has not commented so far on the deal.