High-profile oppositionist appeals to acquit him from the previous conviction on the “Kirovlis” case based on the decision of the European Court on Human Rights in order to run for the presidency, Kommersant.
The Navalny representatives directed the appeal to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Council of Europe to facilitate the revision of the judgement.
They emphasized the judgement is an obstacle for Navalny to offer his candidacy for the election.
Navalny’s advocates Olga Mikhailova and Karina Moskalenko said the oppositionist appealed to the High Court on August 1 to open the “Kirovlis” case again in order to nullify the judgement of the Russian court and grant him a sentence of acquittal.
Advocates said: “Without the pressure from the Committee of Ministers the opening of the case will be a pure formality and the High Court will ignore the decision of the European Court, leaving the judgement unchanged, as it has previously made during the same politically sensitive cases of Mikhail Hodorkovsky and Oleksii Pichugina.”
Advocates claimed Navalny was sentenced “ to lose the possibility to run for the Presidential election, intimidate him and to force him to quit the political activity.”
The Presidential election in the Russian Federation is set to be held in 2018.