Authorization

Terry Gilliam 'restored and well' after 'stroke'

By David Mercer, News Reporter
Terry Gilliam says he is "restored and well again" after reportedly suffering a minor stroke, as he prepares to finally showcase his disaster-plagued film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
The Monty Python star thanked fans for their support after a French court rejected an effort by producer Paulo Branco to block the premiere of the movie at the Cannes festival.
The film has been dubbed one of the unluckiest productions in Hollywood history after a string of catastrophes since Gilliam began working on the project in 1989."After days of rest and prayers to the gods I am restored and well again," the director wrote on Twitter."So is The Man Who Killed Don Quixote! We are legally victorious!
We are delighted to announce that @TerryGilliam and his film #TheManWhoKilledDonQuixote will be at @Festival_Cannes on May 19th for the closing film of the festival. The judge said YES. #QuixoteVive pic.twitter.com/VBXQgxBLSM— The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (@quixotemovie) May 9, 2018
"We will go to the ball, dressed as the closing film at Festival de Cannes! May 19. Thanks for all your support. #QuixoteVive."Producer Branco had tried to obtain a court order stopping the film from being shown at Cannes in a long-running dispute over who owns the rights.Gilliam's lawyer Benjamin Sarfaty said the ruling was a "great relief" for the director."For more than 20 years this film was almost buried by various obstacles and many have said on various occasions that there was a curse on this movie," he said.
"Well today this curse is broken thanks to the justice."
After days of rest and prayers to the gods I am restored and well again. So is The Man Who Killed Don Quixote! We are legally victorious! We will go to the ball, dressed as the closing film at Festival de Cannes! May 19. Thanks for all your support. #QuixoteVive— Terry Gilliam (@TerryGilliam) May 9, 2018
Gilliam, 77, began shooting on the original movie, which starred Johnny Depp, back in 2000.But the ill-fated production was hit by a series of problems including flooding and insurance issues, making the film the longest developed in Hollywood history.It was the subject of a 2002 documentary Lost In La Mancha, which details the film's mishaps, including leading man Jean Rochefort developing back problems from riding a horse.
Terry Gilliam 'restored and well' after 'stroke'

Image:
Gilliam began filming on the original production in 2000
Gilliam tried to make the movie eight times, with the cast changing to include the likes of Ewan McGregor, John Hurt, Robert DuVall and Jack O'Connell.The story follows a deluded old man who is convinced he is Don Quixote, and who mistakes an advertising executive called Toby for his trusty squire, Sancho Panza.
More from Entertainment

'I cry for my children': Harvey Weinstein's estranged wife breaks silence


Rapper Dr Dre loses trademark battle with gynaecologist Dr Drai


Two bands become one: Backstreet Boys dress up as the Spice Girls


Spotify drops R Kelly from playlists amid #MuteRKelly backlash


Dame Barbara Windsor diagnosed with Alzheimer's


Adele? Sir Mick? U2? Who tops musician rich list?

The latest version features Star Wars actor Adam Driver as Toby and Jonathan Pryce as the Man of La Mancha.Gilliam caused controversy earlier this year when he hit out at the #MeToo movement, claiming some women had used it to further their careers.
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Май 2018    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031