Authorization

Ford 'to ditch Mondeo range and scrap thousands of jobs'

Ford faces mounting speculation that it is considering plans to slash costs by scrapping its Mondeo range of mid-market family cars and cutting up to 24,000 workers.
Thousands of staff who work for the car maker are at risk of redundancy while the famous ‘Mondeo Man’ which embodied an aspiring political class of voters under former Labour leader Tony Blair could be on his way out.
The Detroit car maker could slash up to 12pc of its global workforce in “deep and fundamental” plans being formulated in its headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. Many of the cuts are feared to come from the company’s European operations, particularly in Germany and Spain.
A spokesman for Ford said it is “focused on aggressively attacking costs” but would not comment on the potential job cuts. The deliberations were first reported by The Sunday Times. Final decisions are not expected for several months.
A fresh wave of cuts in the UK, where the company employs around 12,000 staff, would be likely to anger MPs and unions who last year condemned the business for “blindsiding” staff at an under-threat engine plant in Bridgend, Wales after Ford said it was reducing planned investment in the plant.
As well as trimming its workforce and cutting production of the Mondeo, Ford was said to be considering scrapping the Galaxy and S-Max people carriers in favour of more lucrative offroad-style “sports utility” vehicles and may chop a number of dealerships.
Ford 'to ditch Mondeo range and scrap thousands of jobs'

Ford Motor Company CEO Jim Hackett 
Another radical option would be to move some or all of its European business into a joint venture with a rival such as Volkswagen.
A spokesman said that while the Mondeo market is slowing it “remains a core part of our product line-up in Europe” and there are no current changes planned to Ford’s products. Changes to consumer tastes mean that in recent years drivers have been swapping classic Mondeo cars with larger vehicles such as SUVs.
The potential changes have emerged months after the company said it would be cutting costs across engineering, marketing, manufacturing and sales between 2019 and 2022, saving a total of $25.5bn. It also said earlier this year that it would not invest in the next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America.
The car giant, which was founded more than a century ago and has more than 200,000 staff, has been squeezed this year by higher aluminium and steel prices, a fall in demand for diesel-powered vehicles and the threat of Brexit on its most profitable market.
See also:
Leave a comment
News
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Сентябрь 2018    »
ПнВтСрЧтПтСбВс
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930