Student is first hijab-wearing Miss England finalist

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/81C2/production/_103281233_95cef269-5c8a-4635-a55c-6dcca4f66a57.jpg" width="1024" height="576">
Sara Iftekhar joined a list of hopefuls to be crowned Miss England at the event in Nottinghamshire
A Muslim law student became the first hijab-wearing woman to take part in the Miss England final.Sara Iftekhar, from Huddersfield, went up against 49 other hopefuls at Kelham Hall in Newark, Nottinghamshire. The 20-year-old often shares Instagram pictures of herself in traditional Pakistani dress.After winning Miss Huddersfield 2018 Ms Iftekhar said it was "amazing" to make the final, but she was beaten by Alisha Cowie who was named Miss England 2018.
Skip Instagram post by sara_iftekhar
View this post on Instagram
My eco dress for the Miss England 2018 Finals ?? (Thank you all for the nice messages, I really do appreciate it?) @wedoethicalliving @missenglandnews #missengland #misshuddersfield #eco #ecodress #saraiftekhar A post shared by S A R A? (@sara_iftekhar) on Sep 3, 2018 at 3:05pm PDT
End of Instagram post by sara_iftekhar
sara_iftekhar

Ms Iftekhar, who has had a passion for make-up from a young age, said: "I did not expect to be making history. I do feel proud.
"At the end of the day, I may be the first woman to wear a hijab [at the Miss England final]. However, I am just a regular girl and we all have a fair opportunity in this contest."Also working as a make-up artist, she added she decided to take part in Miss England for "a bit of fun"."If I want to cover myself up and dress modestly why should that be an issue? I am just like the other contestants. "If I am sending out that message it will motivate other people to participate in a beauty contest."
'Everyone is beautiful'
On a fundraising page she set up for children's charity Beauty with a Purpose, Ms Iftekhar wrote: "I participated in Miss 2018 in order to show that beauty doesn't have a definition. Everyone is beautiful in their own ways, regardless of their weight, race, colour or shape."
Skip Instagram post 2 by sara_iftekhar
View this post on Instagram
So I won a place in the top 15 for the Top Model round in part 1 of the finals of Miss England the second part will be held in September?? —————————————————————— @missenglandnews @gentinghotelrwb @pakistanvogue @pakistanstreetstyle @beautycitymagazine #missengland #misshuddersfield #missenglandfinalist #gentinghotelbirmingham #model #topmodel A post shared by S A R A? (@sara_iftekhar) on Jul 27, 2018 at 12:30pm PDT
End of Instagram post 2 by sara_iftekhar
sara_iftekhar

On her Instagram, she said she would be "forever grateful" for the opportunities being a Miss England finalist had given her.
Skip Instagram post 3 by sara_iftekhar
View this post on Instagram
Wowwwwwww!!!! I can’t even comprehend how amazing it felt for my name to be announced as a finalist in the Miss England Finals 2018! Alhamdullilah ? It was an incredible experience and something which I will never be able to forget. The opportunities which I have received with being a finalist in Miss england are opportunities which I would never have thought of and will forever be grateful for @missenglandnews ———————————————————————— A special thanks for my sponsor @parisa_collections for providing me with my gorgeous scarves. A huge thank you to @angeladawn63 ,Kerry, Kirsty,Karina and all of the Miss England team you really have supported me a lot and shown me so much love ? Thanks for everyone who has supported me with your kind words it really means alot? Let’s get ready for the grand finals now?? #missengland #misspopularity #missyorkshire @hudexaminer A post shared by S A R A? (@sara_iftekhar) on Jul 4, 2018 at 1:26pm PDT
End of Instagram post 3 by sara_iftekhar
sara_iftekhar

Other Miss England 2018 contestants include Sophie Hall - who was left with permanent scars following an acid attack in East London - and mental health campaigner Sarah-Jane Hulyer.Winner Ms Cowie will now represent England at the Miss World competition in Sanya, China, in December. Miss World, which is broadcast to more then 120 countries and is in its 68th year, has regularly attracted criticism for being a "degrading" contest. Protests have taken place at the event in previous years, such as in 2011 when about 100 demonstrators turned up to object to what they saw as a "human cattle market". In 1970, when the contest was held at London's Royal Albert Hall, feminist activists stormed the stage.But organisers say the pageants "empower" women.In 2015, the swimwear round was cut from Miss World as organisers felt it was "old-fashioned and unnecessary", and said the focus of the competition had shifted focus from physical beauty.
Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk.
Newark on Trent