Giuliani: Trump lawyer's 'you' tweet sparks internet jokes

Giuliani: Trump lawyer's 'you' tweet sparks internet jokes

It doesn't take much to tickle the social media fancy - in fact one word was all Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani needed to spark a new wave of internet gags.The former New York City mayor mysteriously tweeted the single word "you", opening up the floodgates for memes and jokes.His three character message has so far received more than 21k comments, 7k retweets and 19k likes in less than 24 hours.
Skip Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani
You— Rudy Giuliani (@RudyGiuliani) July 29, 2018
End of Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani
The apparent mistake has inspired many users to share song lyrics. Twitter user @justinhendrix quoted a verse and chorus from the Joe Cocker hit track You Are So Beautiful.
Skip Twitter post by @justinhendrix
...are so beautiful
To me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see

You're everything I hope for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful to me
You are so beautiful to me https://t.co/caN5uVtfHD— Justin Hendrix (@justinhendrix) July 29, 2018
End of Twitter post by @justinhendrix
The hashtag #RudySongs has also emerged with nearly 1,000 uses since the tweet was posted on Sunday.
Skip Twitter post by @t_mo_land
really got me now
You got me so I don't know what I'm doin' now
Oh yeah, you really got me now
You got me so I can't sleep at night

You really got me
You really got me
You really got me pic.twitter.com/L7m9IcJOwA— Tim Moreland (@t_mo_land) July 29, 2018
End of Twitter post by @t_mo_land
This Twitter user echoed Trump's message to Hassan Rouhani after the Iranian president had said war with Iran would be the "mother of all wars", by replicating Eminem's Lose Yourself lyrics.
Skip Twitter post by @AltCyberCommand
...BETTER LOSE YOURSELF IN THE MUSIC, THE MOMENT, YOU OWN IT, YOU BETTER NEVER LET IT GO. YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT, DO NOT MISS YOUR CHANCE TO BLOW. THIS OPPORTUNITY COMES ONCE IN A LIFETIME, YO. BE CAUTIOUS! https://t.co/YunKEYSK85— Alt US Cyber Command (@AltCyberCommand) July 29, 2018
End of Twitter post by @AltCyberCommand
Lord of the Rings fans will appreciate @Gc123holesolo take on the "you" gag, with their clip of Gandalf declaring "you shall not pass!"
Skip Twitter post by @Gc123holesolo
pic.twitter.com/7pgNQEWXll— gc123 (@Gc123holesolo) July 30, 2018
End of Twitter post by @Gc123holesolo
You may also like:
Trump threatens Iran, Twitter responds with jokes and memes
'Covfefe': Trump invents new word and melts internet
Six years on, people are still celebrating Ed Balls Day
This isn't the first time an unplanned tweet has encouraged song lyric responses from tweeters. After UK Home Secretary Sajid Javid "pocket tweeted" the letter 'I' on 15 July, @simon_coxon began a chain of tweets which paid tribute to the Human League number one hit Don't You Want Me.
Skip Twitter post by @simon_coxon
Was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, when I met you— simon coxon (@simon_coxon) July 15, 2018
End of Twitter post by @simon_coxon
Giuliani's client Donald Trump is no stranger to sparking trending topics with a random word either. The US president added 'covfefe' to the public's vocabulary when he tweeted it by mistake in May 2017.
Donald Trump's Twitter typo
But no politician in Britain or the US can match the prestige which surrounds that of former shadow chancellor Ed Balls. Back in 2011, the star of Strictly Come Dancing tweeted, rather than searched for, his own name.The 28 April has been celebrated as #EdBallsDay on Twitter ever since.
Ed Balls tweeted his own name on 28 April sparking an annual celebration