Girls: Rita Ora 'sorry' for song accused of exploiting bisexuality

[img]https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/1515B/production/_101536368_gettyimages-885566942.jpg" width="976" height="549">
Rita Ora has apologised after criticism of her song Girls by several LGBTQ musicians. Singers including Kehlani and Hayley Kiyo said the lyrics were "harmful" and accused the track of exploiting bisexuality. In her apology, Rita said: "I would never intentionally cause harm to other LGBTQ people or anyone."I have strived to be a contributor to the LGBTQ community throughout my entire career and always will be."
The track, which features Cardi B, Bebe Rexha and Charli XCX, was criticised by those who believed the song belittled same-sex relationships.
Some took issue with the chorus, which says: "Sometimes, I just wanna kiss girls, red wine, I just wanna kiss girls."Hayley Kiyoko wrote that she didn't "need to drink wine to kiss girls", while Kehlani called the lyrics "harmful".Sam Neath from Bi Pride UK told Newsbeat the song "sort of sounds like it's undermining bisexuality as a serious thing".
Skip Instagram post by hayleykiyoko
A post shared by H A Y L E Y
K I Y O K O (@hayleykiyoko) on May 11, 2018 at 12:42pm PDT
End of Instagram post by hayleykiyoko
Girls: Rita Ora 'sorry' for song accused of exploiting bisexuality

hayleykiyoko

Skip Twitter post by @Kehlani
hate to be THAT guy but there were many awkward slurs, quotes, and moments that were like “word[/img]Report
End of Twitter post by @Kehlani
Skip Twitter post 2 by @Kehlani
and don’t make this personal.

i have an incredible song out with one of the artists, and would love to work with the other three as well. & have met them all and respect them.
there. were. harmful. lyrics.
period. love y’all. ?— Kehlani (@Kehlani) May 11, 2018
End of Twitter post 2 by @Kehlani
Rita Ora has responded to the criticism with a statement on Twitter, describing the song as representing her "truth". She wrote: "I have had romantic relationships with women and men throughout my life and this is my personal journey."
Skip Twitter post by @RitaOra
pic.twitter.com/p53aQxfQg2— Rita Ora (@RitaOra) May 14, 2018
End of Twitter post by @RitaOra
"I am sorry [if] how I expressed myself in my song has hurt anyone," she added. "I would never intentionally cause harm to other LGBTQ+ people or anyone."She also thanked fans for "teaching me to love myself no matter what".And so far they've reacted positively to her apology.
Skip Twitter post by @freyaoraa
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU FOR DOING THIS!!! I LOVE YOU QUEEN REETS, STAY STRONG GURL???— Freya|#WeLoveYouRita? (@freyaoraa) May 14, 2018
End of Twitter post by @freyaoraa
Skip Twitter post by @ritaftcabello
so bloody proud of you for this. we love you and got your back. always ???— leah (@ritaftcabello) May 14, 2018
End of Twitter post by @ritaftcabello
Rita Ora previously told People magazine she wanted the song to be a bisexual anthem, but was less clear when asked if she was bisexual herself."If people look at it like that, it's very narrow-minded and I don't think that's what this record is. I don't think that that even matters," she said. Follow Newsbeat on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Listen to Newsbeat live at 12:45 and 17:45 every weekday on BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra - if you miss us you can listen back here.