Commonwealth Games 2018: Scotland's Callum Hawkins collapses in marathon

[img]" srcset=" 240w, 320w, 480w, 624w, 800w" sizes="(min-width: 900px) 50vw, (min-width: 600px) 70vw, 100vw" alt="Callum Hawkins being helped into an ambulance" class="">
Hawkins was sitting up and talking by the time he was put into an ambulanceScotland's Callum Hawkins collapsed just over one mile from the end of the marathon at the Commonwealth Games when leading by almost two minutes.In hot conditions on the Gold Coast, Hawkins looked set for gold but he began weaving across the road before falling over the kerb.He continued for another couple of hundred metres before collapsing again, hitting his head on a roadside barrier.
Hawkins was conscious, sitting up and talking when helped into an ambulance.A Team Scotland statement said: "Callum has been taken to hospital for medical review follow his collapse as is standard procedure. He is being supported by Team Scotland medical staff and there are no major concerns at this stage."Peter Jardine of Scottish Athletics told BBC Scotland that Callum Hawkins "initially refused medical treatment after collapsing" because he "feared he would be disqualified".
Medical help 'a disgrace'
It had taken a couple of minutes for any medical staff to attend to the Scotsman, who was lying on the road in clear distress with spectators looking on.BBC Sport commentator Steve Cram said it was "a disgrace" that it took so long for any paramedics to attend to Hawkins.Cram added: "I'm just concerned for his welfare. He hit his head on the barrier. I'm sorry if you're watching this at home, it's really distressing. He's going to hurt himself and there's nobody anywhere near."We should have some more medical attention. This is a guy in real distress and someone needs to recognise it for his health at this point."Where on earth is the help[/img]


Scottish athlete Eilidh Doyle had been out on the marathon course to support her team-mateWhen asked to explain why it took so long for paramedics to attend to Hawkins, Gold Coast 2018 chief executive Mark Peters said: "We need to check the facts out. You can't have medical people on every kilometre of the road. "They are professionally positioned as they are for our Gold Coast marathon when we have 30,000 people running. Obviously the health of the athlete is absolute prime."Sometimes medical people arrive and athletes have to make a decision whether they want to go on or not and I understand that was part of the discussion."
'There's rarely a marathon where someone isn't collapsing'
Peters said he was attempting to get more information, adding: "There is no reason there would be deliberate delays and our thoughts are with the athlete."He also said he didn't think the heat was an issue - the temperature was around 28C. He said: "Unfortunately athletes do run themselves to exhaustion and there is rarely a marathon where someone isn't collapsing."Australia's Mike Shelley won the race - defending the title he won in Glasgow in 2014.He ran past the stricken Hawkins just as help arrived and the Gold Coast-born athlete went on to claim the victory with Uganda's Munyo Solomon Mutai in second, with Robbie Simpson of Scotland claiming the bronze.Shelley said: "I saw him on the Sundale Bridge and just tried to hang on. "When I was coming down the home straight I tried to accelerate but I was just gone. I thought hopefully I can get to the finish line because I was starting to get cramps in my hands."Simpson later said he was going to stop to help Hawkins but there were medical staff in attendance.He was not the only athlete to suffer in the conditions - Tanzania's Stephano Huche Gwandu was put in a wheelchair after falling as he crossed the finish line.His team-mate Saidi Juma Makula collapsed close to the finish line - one of seven of the 24 starters who did not complete the race - and was helped into an ambulance.
See also:
Leave a comment
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Январь 2019    »