How 'MeToo' is exposing the scale of sexual abuse

[img]https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/1063D/production/_98333176_faf89d6c-d8e0-4fd7-92db-c8df67162506.jpg" width="976" height="549">
Actress Alyssa Milano asked victims of sexual harassment and assault to come forward
Women and men from all over the globe who have been sexually harassed have been tweeting "me too" to show the magnitude of sexual assault.It follows further allegations of rape against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. More than two dozen women - among them actresses Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Rose McGowan - have made accusations against him including rape and sexual assault. Weinstein insists sexual relations he had were consensual.
Harvey Weinstein scandal: Who has accused him of what[/img]
Harvey Weinstein timeline: How the scandal unfolded
Exploring the casting couch culture of LA
Since the allegations surfaced many high profile names have used social media to highlight the problem of sexual assault, some also detailing the harassment they've endured. The latest prominent hashtag, #MeToo, has been used more than 200,000 times since Sunday night. The term gained momentum after actress Alyssa Milano asked victims of sexual assault to come forward in a show of solidarity.
Skip Twitter post by @Alyssa_Milano
If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet. pic.twitter.com/k2oeCiUf9n— Alyssa Milano (@Alyssa_Milano) October 15, 2017
End of Twitter post by @Alyssa_Milano
A number of singers, actors and actresses responded including Debra Messing and Anna Paquin.
Skip Twitter post by @ladygaga
#MeToo— xoxo, Gaga (@ladygaga) October 15, 2017
End of Twitter post by @ladygaga
Skip Twitter post by @evanrachelwood
Because I was shamed and considered a "party girl" I felt I deserved it. I shouldnt have been there, I shouldn't have been "bad" #metoo— #EvanRachelWould (@evanrachelwood) October 16, 2017
End of Twitter post by @evanrachelwood
Many other social media users shared stories of the abuse they had suffered. One Twitter user who wanted to remain anonymous posted: "I was 19. He plied me with alcohol, forced a tongue kiss and touched my chest. I blamed myself for being drunk. #MeToo."
Why are some women boycotting Twitter?
Donna Karan defends Weinstein, suggests women 'asking for it'
Sebastian Gorka: 'Pence rule on women would prevent abuse'
Men and members of the transgender community have also voiced their support of the campaign including actor and singer Javier Munoz.
Skip Twitter post by @JMunozActor
Me too. I don’t know if means anything coming from a gay man but it’s happened. Multiple times.— Javier Munoz (@JMunozActor) October 15, 2017
End of Twitter post by @JMunozActor
Skip Twitter post by @samueljohnbrown
To everyone who's posted a #MeToo tweet I want you to know I think you're incredibly courageous, it's not your fault and I believe you.— Samuel Brown (@samueljohnbrown) October 16, 2017
End of Twitter post by @samueljohnbrown
Other men shared details of their own experiences.
Skip Twitter post by @zmoney911
I was raped when I was 15 and I never told anyone about it because I'm a guy and she's a girl and no one would've taken me seriously.#MeToo— Zeee (@zmoney911) October 16, 2017
End of Twitter post by @zmoney911
Cortney Anne Budney posted on Facebook: "Me too for men too. Let's not forget the men and boys. Their "me too"s are equally important and often quite hidden."Writer Charles Clymer, who has been the victim of rape, took to Facebook to share his views. He said although both genders suffer abuse "there's a specific misogynistic component to rape culture.""It's okay to take aside time to highlight misogyny specifically and amplify women," he posted on Facebook.Although the #MeToo hashtag is trending worldwide - including in the UK, US, India and Pakistan - other hashtags are also being generated. In France, Twitter users are using #balancetonporc or "rat on your dirty old man" to encourage women to name and shame their attackers, while #Womenwhoroar is another term being used to encourage victims of bullying or sexual abuse to speak up.