Sheffield marriage proposal causes flat fire" width="976" height="549">
The man returned from collecting his girlfriend to find his flat on fire
A man who was planning to propose to his girlfriend ended up setting his Sheffield flat on fire after lighting hundreds of tealight candles.South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire started on Abbeydale Road on Monday after the man left to pick up his girlfriend for the "big moment". But when the couple returned they found the flat engulfed in flames.A spokesperson said fortunately no-one was injured and "she still said yes".Posting about the incident on social media, the fire service said the man, who they would not be naming to spare his blushes, had "really gone to town", with candles, wine and balloons.
However, it added: "After going round the corner to collect his girlfriend ready for the romantic moment, he came back to find the flat on fire and three fire engines on the way.""As romantic as they are, and as much as we all love 'em, candles can be so dangerous."
Skip Twitter post by @SYFR
THREAD: Look closely. What do you seeReport
End of Twitter post by @SYFR
The service wished the couple "all the best" and said crews were looking forward to receiving a wedding invitation.
The fire service said the man had lit hundreds of tealights in preparation for the proposal
In response to the post, people offered their support and congratulations.One person wrote: "Omg the poor guy. All he was trying to do was make it special."Another said: "Don't let him arrange the wedding."More news from across Yorkshire
Follow BBC Yorkshire on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Send your story ideas to or send video here.
Marriage proposals
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
See also:
Leave a comment
  • Latest
  • Read
  • Commented
Calendar Content
«    Октябрь 2020    »