Who is the Disco Bunny?

The Disco Bunny made headlines over the weekend after a video of him involved in a heated confrontation with a man went viral online. The self-proclaimed "nomad" had been performing in the street in Nottingham when he says a man approached him aggressively, questioning his sexuality. Passers-by jumped to his defence and others filmed the encounter.But who is the Disco Bunny and why was he dancing in the street?The Disco Bunny's real name is Pablo Woodward. In 2016 the 32-year-old decided to "take control" of his life, by creating his "own job" - dancing in the street, purely to "unite all people" and put a smile on their faces. Pablo, who is father to two teenage children, is famous for his signature dance moves - among them the "gender-free shaky shaky" and says he hopes people can be "free" by living "vicariously" through him.
He lives in a "Disco Bunny Bus", rides a "Disco Bunny Bike" and performs across the UK. However, Pablo objects to being described as called a busker, pointing out "usually buskers make money" and says he often ends up spending more than he makes to perform.
Skip Instagram post by discobunny11
View this post on Instagram
If you only had one life what would you do with it? "Be The Disco Bunny" A post shared by The Disco Bunny (@discobunny11) on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:53pm PDT
End of Instagram post by discobunny11
discobunny11

Nevertheless, the dancer says although he isn't "financially successful", he is the happiest he has ever been. "Mentally, I have worked so hard on myself, on my learning. I have no financial success but you can see that I am successful, emotionally successful."Pablo is referring to the fact he remains calm throughout the contentious video - even when other people become visibly upset. He admits that at the time he was both rattled and furious, saying: "I was distraught and panicking but on the video I am smiling. Because I have been punched before, I have had abuse."
Skip Instagram post 2 by discobunny11
View this post on Instagram
Nottingham as I see it, as I see the locals - perhaps as they see me. I was very happy to return, to show my appreciation for the love and support they have shown me, and to capture a few more videos to show a little more of the city through its true people. A post shared by The Disco Bunny (@discobunny11) on Apr 6, 2019 at 2:45pm PDT
End of Instagram post 2 by discobunny11
discobunny11

Once an orphan
Pablo hasn't always been this care-free and whimsical. He was once an orphan in Brazil and recalls a time he slept on the streets with little to his name. "I don't know where I came from, I don't know any of my family."Pablo was later adopted and at aged 10, he moved to England with his new family. Over the years he has travelled the world and eventually settled in Australia, with his former partner and two children. He's worked in various jobs in his time, from injuries claims consultant to quiz master. But one day The Street Bunny realised he was living a lie. "I've lived in countries I didn't want to, in a relationship I didn't want to be in and a job I didn't want to do. "I did that for one or two years too many - some people do it for a life-time, many people feel tied. "I love my children. But I left about six years ago because I realised I was living a life that brought me no joy at all."
Skip Instagram post 3 by discobunny11
View this post on Instagram
I used to have dreadlocks which grew naturally- I never intended for them to become me or I them. Years passed and they grew longer and longer. It irritated me: I couldn’t go anywhere without someone thinking I was cool, ‘so cool’, so ‘mellow’, and it annoyed me; I journey through life at a million miles an hour by the seat of my pants, and I don’t even know what cool is. In fact, I don’t even wear sunglasses for fear of looking cool: I am just me! A happy troubled soul just doing my best, trying not to tread on people’s toes in this mad mad world. Well, eventually, my dreadlocks went. I did not go to the hairdressers to cut my hair but did it myself over a period of seven nights on stage, more and more each night until by the seventh night I had no dreads whatsoever, and then after that I felt relieved. I had instantly increased my chances of anonymity. Now I can go rob that bank and maybe get away with it, I thought. Now I can transport those suitcases of marijuana on the plane, I thought. Now I can enter a room and heads don’t turn, I thought. Now, fast forward so many years, and I am The Disco Bunny.... who, when not even dressed as The Disco Bunny, in civilian clothing, is still noticed - still making heads turn. Perhaps it’s my face, my spirit shining through, not my hair, not my clothes, not all that superficial stuff, but just my flesh and blood and soul, that people notice, that makes heads turn, that just makes me me, the uncool cool me. A post shared by The Disco Bunny (@discobunny11) on Feb 11, 2019 at 12:41am PST
End of Instagram post 3 by discobunny11
discobunny11

Pablo now hopes to raise the money required so he can re-unite with his children, who still live in Australia, to share the new life he has created with them.He lives his life with one mission: To unite all people, irrespective of race, religion, gender, orientation, mental or physical ability.Which is why he was "really sad", though not surprised, to see he had gone viral for all the wrong reasons. "I am used to it to be honest. When I was growing up I suffered from a lot of racism, I was once asleep at a bus stop and was punched in the face.""All over the world there are still people being vilified for their sexuality and for effectively listening to their heart and identifying who they are and who they love."Pablo says: "As the Disco Bunny, I see it as my job to be true to my identify, be myself and let others do the judging."
Nottingham